IF 189: The Farm Transition “Dating Game” w/Joel Bokenfohr
Wednesday, May 3, 2023
STREAM PODCAST LIVE
All our episodes are available on the following popular audio and video destinations:
Podcast: iTunes / Spotify / Stitcher / Soundcloud / IHeartRadio
Episode 189: The Farm Transition “Dating Game” w/Joel Bokenfohr
In today’s episode, Tracy speaks with Joel Bokenfohr from Farm Credit Canada about The Farm Transition “Dating Game.”
I hope so, as today we have a witty and informative episode about farm transition planning and how it mirrors the various stages of dating.
In this episode, Tracy and Joel discuss:
- How Joel came up with the idea of comparing farm transition planning to dating.
- Joel introduces our audience to the three stages of the dating game and how this corresponds to the three main stages of farm transition planning.
- Before diving into the stages of planning, Tracy and Joel chat about how overwhelming transition planning can be. Joel speaks to the “mind monsters” that tend to creep in during this process.
- Before even getting ready to “date,” which in this case is starting the transition planning conversation, Joel shares the Farm Family Business Canvas with 21 questions that farm families can start reviewing and pondering on.
- Then, Joel dives into the short-term, medium-term, and long-term planning stages. He shares what conversations and activities tend to fall into each stage and what farm families should be focused on throughout the process.
- Where’s the best place to start? Joel shares more information about Farm Credit Canada’s team of advisors and tells our audience more about FCC’s free transition planning resources.
* Disclaimer - As always, this information is not intended to provide business or medical advice. To ensure that your own circumstances have been properly considered and that action is taken based on the latest information available, you should obtain professional advice from qualified business or medical professionals before acting on any of the information in this post.
FCC Transition Planning Resources - https://www.fcc-fac.ca/en/resources/transition-planning.html
Path To Transition – 9 Part Series - https://www.fcc-fac.ca/en/knowledge/plan-prepare-transition.html
Farm Credit Canada - Ag Transition Specialist
Joel has worked in agriculture in many different capacities, advising farms, food processors and policy makers on issues affecting the industry. His true passion is helping primary producers and farm families with decisions on transition planning, farm management and business structures.
Joel holds a degree in commerce and management from MacEwan University, master’s in economics from the University of British Columbia and agri-business certificates from Texas A&M and the University of Sao Paulo. Joel continues to farm in Sturgeon County, Alberta, with his family.
Connect with Joel Bokenfohr - LinkedIn / Twitter / Website
The Impact Farming Show
Welcome to Impact Farming, Farm Marketer's video and audio show dedicated to helping Canadian farmers excel in the business of farming. Our goal with this show is to introduce our audience to the people and ideas that are going to make an IMPACT on their farming operation.
Show Host - Tracy Brunet
CEO of Farm Marketer
Tracy and her husband are cattle ranchers in South East, Manitoba. As host of the show, primary producer and agvocate, Tracy is passionate about helping farmers succeed in the business of farming.
In each episode, Tracy chats with today's most successful farm advisors and industry leaders to bring our audience the best and most important ideas.
Connect with Tracy Brunet - Twitter / Facebook / Instagram / Linked in